June 23, 2011

ER

So today started out just like any other day. I was going to surprise the kids by taking them to the library and making sundaes, but that did not happen. Trevor had other plans! Around 11am Trev said that his chest hurt. I asked him where and he pointed to the area around his heart. I tried not to panic, but inside I was!

I called his cardiologist, but of course he was on vacation. So we were told to go to the nearest ER. I quickly packed up the girls and Trevor. We got in the car and my phone was almost dead! The pain lasted almost 40 minutes. It ended shortly after we got to the ER. Thank goodness there was not a lot of traffic. Once in, Trev got admitted right away. I had mentioned his cardiologist being on vacation and they looked at me funny and asked why a 5 year old needed a cardiologist. I went through the whole history with them. Luckily I still remember dates and procedures. Although, if he has too many more I will most likely start to forget when and what has happened...

His O2 was 100! I love seeing that number :) It wasn't always that way. I still look at him in amazement at how pink he is! Apparently his EKG was abnormal so they were having Children's hospital look at it. (We did not go there since it takes an hour or so to get there). It turned out that his abnormal EKG is normal for him. They then ordered chest x-rays and blood work. Cardiac wise everything looked great! Everything was clear in his lungs too.  The blood work turned out great so after 5 hours we were sent home. Trevor was a rock star through the whole experience. But when has he not been!?! He was so brave when they were taking his blood. We avoided the word needles and he was not aloud to watch as they put it in. He did however watch the blood go into the tubes. All three thought that was the coolest thing ever!

The girls were rock stars too! They missed their naps and were wonderful through everything. They got to ride on the bed with their brother when he got his x-ray. They kept asking to go on more rides :) They hopped like bunnies in the hall, watched some cartoons, spun around on the chairs, crawled through each others legs and had fun in general. The most fun came when I realized I did not bring my diaper bag and they both were messy and needed to be changed. Because of course they do not want to use the potty and they do not like messy diapers! No one was around so I tried to clean the diaper off and reuse it, but in the end that did not work. Eventually I found someone and they only had size 3 diapers. I had to cram their bums in those tiny diapers! At least it held everything in until we got home :)

In the end they never did find out why Trevor had chest pains. We tried to get him to describe the pain and he just said it hurt. He wasn't crying and he still played through it. But with his heart history we took him in right away. Hopefully it does not happen again. That boy loves to keep us on our toes!

Since I had planned on taking them for ice cream I told him we could get ice cream for being such a trooper during his visit. I did not plan on leaving at 5pm! So we went out to dinner. When the ice cream cones came they were huge! They looked bigger than the girls' head! They all deserved the extra ice cream for how wonderful they were. 

1 comment:

Karla Marsh (and family) said...

Wow - what a scary experience but so glad to hear it went ok . . . I'll be praying for some answers as to why he was feeling that way. Way to go Momma - one more crazy day under your belt!!