February 4, 2011

ER... Part 4

I checked Trev into the ER and they had our paperwork ready to go and said they had been waiting for us. We got into triage right away. Once in there I thought I recognized one of Trevor's cardiac nurses from when he was a baby. (She was there for the first 3 surgeries.) Luckily we seen her and she expedited everything for us. They had poor Trevor jump up and down. He was in tears at the thought of it. He did one tiny jump and they were satisfied. We then waited in the waiting area for about 30 minutes.

Karen (his old cardiac nurse) came out a few times and got some info from us that the Dr.s would be asking us and also ordered an ultrasound. This helped a lot as the ultrasound lab tech went home at 7. It was 6:30 at this time. (We arrived at 6pm) At this point we had not met with the ER Doc as Karen kinda took over as he was still seeing other patients ahead of us. She told us that at this point the more serious concern was his appendix not his heart. In a weird way it was almost nice to be there for a normal kid thing, even though it was considered an emergency.

We got to the ultrasound a little after 6:30. Trevor is truly a rock star!! He was so patient as they were poking and prodding on his belly. He kept asking if they were going to make him better after seeing the sleep Dr.

Within 10 minutes of getting to our ER room after the Ultrasound we were greeting with 2 nurses ready to give him an IV. I was stunned, so this means his appendix is coming out now? The nurses were surprised too. They said this never happens this fast. Karen must have pulled some strings to get him seen faster and it was a good thing too. The surgeon had stated if we had waited any longer it would have ruptured.

Poor Trevor and his 2 failed IV attempts. He was screaming in pain and fear as they kept messing up. Finally I put my foot down and told them to stop. There had to be a way, any other way. This will not be Trev's last surgery and I do not want him scared of hospitals. I even asked the surgeon the same question in front of the nurses. I think they could tell I was not happy at this point. Heck, I had been crying right along with Trevor on the second failed attempt. Finally we got a new nurse and she got it right away. 

The IV drip and antibiotics were started. This was about 8:30 pm. We were told he would be in surgery once the antibiotics were finished. My dad showed up around 10pm with dinner for me. Thanks Dad!! I hadn't eaten since noon and was famished. The nurses kept offering me food and drink but I kept saying no as Trev could not have anything. Finally around 9pm I gave in and I snuck out of the room to eat crackers and drink some juice. I did the same thing once my dad came back with my sandwich.

There happened to be two other kiddos that came in with a more emergent case than we were so we were bumped back. About 11:45pm Trev was wheeled back and my dad and I stayed in the waiting area. My dad had a nap (he had been up since 2am). I tried to nap but sleep was not in my future. I borrowed his lap top for a while. (The reason for my 1am posts :))

About 1:15am the Surgeon came out and said the surgery was a complete success and Trev did awesome through the whole thing. He explained that because of his heart defect they had to do the classical incision and healing would take a little longer. He said we were lucky that he got it out when we did. Another 20 minutes and the thing would have ruptured! God was surely there with us that night as we ran into Karen and she helped expedite things. About 2am and we got to see Trevor. It was so great to finally see him! The day still seems kind of surreal. Everything just happened so fast!

No comments: